Roderik van Hees
Roderik (1983) is an attorney-at-law and partner of our firm. He specializes in corporate and commercial dispute resolution.
Roderik is a litigation attorney admitted to practice in the Netherlands and the Dutch Caribbean (Curaçao, Aruba, St. Maarten, Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba). He mostly works on high value, cross-border cases, often jointly with foreign lawyers.
Roderik has ample experience in commercial (trade) disputes, shareholder disputes, cases regarding the liability of managing directors and supervisory directors, inquiry proceedings, the levying and lifting of attachments and enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards. His clients include local and international banks, multinational corporations and wealthy private individuals.
Roderik is ranked individually by Chambers Global as well as The Legal 500.
According to their 2022 editions, clients say about Roderik:
“He’s an excellent litigator and planner, extremely responsive. Great to work with.“
“We have worked closely with Rogier van den Heuvel and Roderik van Hees on several disputes, with a favourable outcome for us. The latter is with thanks to their expertise and in depth knowledge of the matter and understanding the importance of a favourable outcome for not only us but also the sector we work in.“
Roderik joined VANEPS in 2015 and became partner in 2019. Earlier, he worked for NautaDutilh and Lemstra Van der Korst in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. He studied at Leiden University (LL.B. and LL.M.) and the Free University of Amsterdam (LL.M.) (with highest honors). He is the official representative for the Dutch Caribbean of AIJA, the International Association of Young Lawyers, and was the vice president and treasurer of the Amsterdam Young Bar Association.
Roderik regularly publishes in well-known legal journals, mainly in the fields of international private law and procedural law.
- Acting as counsel in the appeal lodged by one of the defendants against a USD 550 million verdict in the largest directors’ liability case in the Dutch Caribbean ever;
- Representation of the former director of housing association Vestia in the largest directors’ liability case in the Netherlands ever (EUR 2 billion; in Dutch courts and in the parliamentary inquiry);
- Acting as lead counsel in Curaçao for the defendants in the USD 100 million+ dispute between, amongst others, BNP Paribas and Princess Camilla;
- Various proceedings against the Dutch State in relation to the expropriation of SNS REAAL shareholders (in Dutch courts);
- Recovering tens of millions of dollars for various clients from Venezuelan state oil company PDVSA and representation of the Government of Curaçao in its efforts to partially lift the much-discussed conservatory attachments of ConocoPhillips on PDVSA assets in order to secure local oil supply;
- Is registered to the following legal practice areas in the Netherlands Bar’s register of legal areas: Corporate Law & Litigation.